Home building company, GJ Gardner homes, recently conducted a survey of 500 homeowners who had built their homes in the last decade. The research uncovered this fact:
Almost two-thirds (62.5%) of Owner-Builders ran over their budget.
Some tips for building a house on time and budget from Smart Property Investment Australia include:
• Talk directly with your builder and maintain clear lines of communication
• Be upfront about the budget and expectations with your builder
• Watch out for unavoidable costs like site costs, soil tests, levels, bush fire and energy ratings
• Once you’ve settled on the design, try and stick to it and avoid cost blowouts
• Get the final price before signing the building contract
• Read and fully understand your contract
• Try and get onsite during key stages of construction, such as when the slab’s laid, frame’s erected, at lock-up, fix-out and on completion.
Free online Cost calculators:
Free online Cost Guidelines: